Five more random things about the New 3DS ⊟
We’ve covered the basics about the New 3DS\XL hardware and today’s related software announcements, but here are a few minor items about the portable, mostly gleaned from the Nintendo’s Japanese FAQ. It’s just random things to think about, s we wait for the handheld to release in the West next year.
- No more wireless switch on the New 3DS - you’ll need to turn the wireless function on and off through the Home menu.
- Speaking of wireless, you can now transfer media files to your PC without needing to pull out the microSD card. Unfortunately, this feature is supported by only Windows 8.1 and 7 systems, and not Macs. :o/
- To disable the built-in web browser’s parental control filter, users will need to register a valid credit card and pay a fee of ¥30 yen ($0.29), according to Kotaku.
- But thanks to its HTML5 support, the New 3DS’s browser can now play videos — I expect 3DS traffic to PornHub to spike!
- You’ll be able to play most DS games on the New 3DS, except for ones with odd cartridges or casing, like these three releases that Japanese 3DS pointed out.SUPPORT TINY CARTRIDGE Join Club Tiny!
Tumblr’s static CDN does not compress, cache, or minify any of their resources! I mean… seriously!?
Digging deeper, it looks like anytime you upload an asset to static.tumblr.com, the file is stashed directly into S3 and is then served via Cloudfront, which doesn’t gzip, minify, or…
New 3DS: an exciting upgrade for a specific audience ⊟
Nintendo surprised everyone this morning, including people like me who weren’t paying attention to the internet, with the announcement of a “New” 3DS hardware line, featuring redesigned 3DS and 3DS LL/XL models with faster download potential, a right analog thing, extra shoulder buttons, and more. While I’m staring at this and digesting the info, let’s think out loud about it!